Hints and Tips

 

 

P Bracket Repair

Sailbleu gives a step by step guide to his repair on his SO40DS

 

Originally posted on the Jeanneau Owners Forum

 

On my Mediterranean trip while anchoring my propeller caught some drifting ropes, with devastating consequences.

A similar rope turned 3 times around the shaft between the cutless bearing part and the rope cutter.

 

The P- bracket was therefore pushed aside (to the left) ripping the fixture inside the boat.

You can notice that the front part of glass-in structure was somewhat lifted up, breaking the fix.

Cracks in close up.

 

The boat is on the hard now, but water was creeping through the cracks.

I cleaned up the area around the strut.

 

There is no damage on the outside by the looks of it.

 

After checking what had to be done, and after waiting until the outside temp to rise to allow me to handle epoxy resin I started the preparations.

 

First of all I had to grind away all the old and cracked fiberglass, so adding new fibre wouldn't create a mountain inside.

 

That was the hard part, I can tell you. I will save you the view on the warzone, not to scare anyone just in case someone has the same P-bracket issue.

 

But it took a complete plastification of the area, 2 vacuum cleaners and an extra fan connected to one of the hoses inside the boat in order to keep the dust at bay.

According to this picture it looks like it was a piece of cake doesn't it. Let me assure you, ...it wasn't.

This image is important, you can see a gap between the block and the hull, because of the lever effect of the P-bracket (see previous info above) the block was ripped away (on the bow-side of it) from the hull tearing the fibre and allowing water to enter via the cracks.

 

It turned out to be a good thing grinding the complete area because the old fixing was of no use anymore.

 

I did not touch the back part of the block, leaving a partial fix so the alignment of the propshaft was still useable, and also because the old fibre was not compromised.

 

But before glassing-in everything again, the gap between block and hull needed to be closed of course.

 

I managed to do that by means of a construction outside the boat on the prop (see next pic)

First things first, I filled the gaps inside with homemade epoxy filler (epoxy-resin, harder and aerosil).

 

That seemed to be the proper decision because after jacking up the bracket, the epoxy filler squeezed out the gaps gluing both parts together. Beside the glassing an extra fix so to speak.

 

But before glassing also the old filling between the bracket and the outside hull was chiseled away so new epoxy filler could be applied. See the preps for that in the next pics.

Taping the surroundings and using two pieces of wood shaped to the bracket and plastified so they would not stick to the epoxyfiller did hold that filler in place.

 

The wood was also taped to the hull of course.

 

Ok that's that, now the glassing needed to be commenced.

This is the kind of fibre I used, double layered, two different kinds of fibre glued to each other and it took me 2 square meters in total.

Making the epoxy resin as it should, with a scale ,...very important.

 

An average curing harder was used for this job, giving me some time to fiddle around.

This was after all my first fibre adventure.

And because of the my initiation it was a struggle to get the fibre on the right spot.

First layer is in. Notice the grey colour on the joint of block and hull, this is also epoxyfiller running around the block underneath the fibre to shortcut the 90 degree corner due to the bending restriction of the fibreglass.

Four layers done, and resin is curing already.

 

I decided to wait for the finishing touch , covering the fibre with coloured epoxy until I'm sure all is well.

In other words, see you next winter.

Leaving me to clear the bracket entry.

 

Here are a few pics of the reinforcement of the strut on the outside hull.

You will notice the complete hull has been scraped up to the gelcoat/gelshield. Finished that some months ago, and by spring I intend to give it a 4 or 5 coats of epoxy-resin. Not quite sure if I'll add copper to the mixture. You know, homemade coppercoat.

Here's a close up from the extra carbonfibre on the joint of strut and hull. The red color are left overs from the old antifouling.

 

I gradually reshaped the hull with thickened resin (using aerosil) after putting on the carbon band.

Afterwards a real pain in the neck sanding the lot.

I overlapped the strut for about an inch and 2 inches on the hull.

 

SAILBLEU - SO40DS