Hints and Tips



Galley Grab Pole

Sailbleu creates another project, using his regular creative flair and skill for his Sun Odyssey 40DS


I started with a SS pipe 1" and a serious schedule. I wanted to make it solid because you never know how things are being treated during heavy weather.

Real stuff isn't it. This was a leftover from another enterprise, so it came free.

I needed 2 base fittings , a 90° and a 30° , and immediately it went wrong with the sizes. These are for 25mm pipes , 1 inch is - as you know- somewhat more. That meant I had to size down the pipe at the ends, meaning extra work. Wouldn't life be easier if the global authorities could agree on a universal norm. Lets get rid of the English sizes shall we ? I bet you all agree on that :-)

And due to the 30° angle base I also had to make a 30° curve in the pipe so it would be in a straight and erect position. (I hope no lady readers get any side thought on that last expression :-) )

and because of the used schedule I needed some leverage.

First of all I had to locate where the pole would stand so I could decide where and how to fix it properly. With some sticky stuff I stuck one base fitting - the 30° angle - to the galley cupboard so I could check out where the other end would arrive.


Before starting the job I took away the wooden ceiling so I had a clear view on the situation. As you can see, I was in trouble from the start . The pole ended up next to the spot where I hoped to fix the 90° base fitting. The X mark shows the most strategical and solid place to screw in the screws. The GRP is very thick, exactly what I need to cope with the forces. And since I had no intention in drilling a hole through the wooden ceiling nor drilling bolt holes in the upper deck I had to figure out something else.

I came up with the idea of turning the 30° base end about 30° to the left so the top end would wind up somewhere else. Of course that implied I had give the pipe a second curve to get it erect again.

The red arrow is the first curve, the black is the extra one. This looked like a trial and error case getting the angles correct. And you know what , I was lucky this time and only had to adjust once.

I tend to agree, it looks odd, but it fell into place.

At this stage I seemed to be getting in the final stage of the project. The only that needed to be done was to clean up the pipe. To get ride of the heating stains I used a my grinder with special disks. First treatment with the brown(ish) medium grain one to get the deeper scratches out , afterwards the green(ish) one to lighten it up.

To give stainless steel that extra gloss and shine I normally use the drill-machine, a cotton disk and the polish stone/powder stuff.

I guarantee, after doing that you put on your sunglasses.

Time to wrap things up now.

No doubt the observant reader has noticed the bubble isn't where it should be. That has to do with the fact that the boat is on the hard and its standard procedure to chair it under an angle so water and rain can wash away. Of course I also had to respect that angle on the pole.

My boat is always somewhat tilted to the starboard side, so that also needed to be taken into account.

Just like the bottom base I only screwed in one screw (on the bottom base I'm using bolts and nuts mind you), that means I can still slightly change the position of the pole once the boat is in the water. That leaves me half an hours work to get drill and get the remaining screws and bolts in.

Et voilà I'm not going to show you any pictures where you see me swinging like a monkey as a final test for the sturdiness. Because I did you know :-) And don't expect close-ups of my wife performing her pole dancing act wearing nothing but a string. Well, now I come think of it, I'm not quite sure if I want to see that myself.


Sstttt :-X , please don't tell here I said that . ;D


Sailbleu - SO40DS