Hints and Tips

 

 

Transom Step Rebuild

Jeanneau Forum member "Geitz" rebuilds the transom step on his SO36.2

 

When we bought the boat, one of the items on my list to repair was the transom step. I'm not sure what it's called but here it is:

 

There's supposed to be a bolt that holds it in place when it's folded down. The bolt is missing and the teak was damaged. So, I removed the entire step from the boat and brought it home to the warm confines of my basement and began working on it. The first thing I noticed was the bad condition of the black caulk that sealed the teak to the edges of the FRP.

 

Curious, I tried prying it apart............

 

Sorry about the bad picture.

 

The teak and the underlying plywood all came out of the FRP shell in one piece. There were several blobs of adhesive that had failed. Much of the plywood backing was soaked with water and rotten.........and there was a chunk of ice inside.

 

The teak wasn't in bad condition and was glued to the plywood with a black adhesive. I was able to separate them.........

 

I found that scoring the plywood backing with a circular saw made the task easier:

 

 

Here's the inside of the teak decking:

So, I made a frame of 1/2" marine plywood and bonded into the shell with West System epoxy thickened with microfibers. The brackets were removed beforehand and then re-bedded and installed. The next step is to bond a platform of 1/2" plywood to the frame. Once that is cured. I'll clean up the original teak and bond it to the plywood and FRP shell using epoxy. The last step will be to caulk the edges with black teak decking caulk. I'll also replace the missing bolt.

Plywood glued onto the frame:

Teak decking glued onto the plywood underlayment:

Ready for caulk................

Finished................

To avoid the black caulking going everywhere I masked the surfaces, GRP and teak, with the blue masking tape right to the edges. After applying the caulk, I used a small plastic mixing spatula (West System) to squeegee off all the excess.

 

Before it dried, I peeled off the masking tape and cleaned up any mistakes with alcohol and paper towels. Then, I ran my wet finger over the caulk to smooth it out. I didn't re-caulk the teak decking itself, but eventually when I'm forced to do the entire cockpit, I'll do that too.